Thursday, November 8, 2018

Developing a Sexual Identity Orientation

This week's reading about sexual identity was cringe worthy at times, but overall a worthwhile read. It was interesting to read about the perspectives of young adolescents who are just starting to develop and explore their sexual identity. As an educator of adolescents, I rarely think about the fact that my students are exploring this interwoven part of their identity. I was intrigued to hear about the basic framework of sexual education courses that are supposed to educate our youth. These descriptions brought me back to my 7th grade year, when I was required to take diagram tests on the human reproductive organs. I remember the majority of the courses resembled learning body parts and identifying STDs. The only time homosexual sex was mentioned was when my teacher explained that gay men were responsible for the spread of AIDS, which certainly could have unintentionally "taught" us students to view gay men in a negative light. In addition, as noted in Nakula's chapter,  "the general lack of a discourse of desire, as Fine describes it, leaves the larger picture frameless" (188). Perhaps this was a topic that was mature for a 7th grade group of students, but I think it could have certainly been explored in high school to help students better understand the world. 


Another important point I learned from this chapter is that if educators don't supply students with sexual education, then students will find other outlets to gain this knowledge, such as when Jerry and his friends watched the older brother's DVDs. Clearly, it would be better for our students if they had a safe place to ask questions and to learn, since sex is a natural part of life. When Nakula explains the idea of "Abstinence approaches to sexuality education" it brought up many thoughts about the Catholic school I used to work for. I always felt that we were depriving our students of necessary information by teaching this curriculum, rather than preventing anyone from having sex. I certainly don't think teaching "shame" should be a part of the curriculum. As Nakula mention, only teaching one form of sexual expression is dangerous. In fact, I learned more from asking my mom than I learned at school, but many of our students may not have someone knowledgable who they are willing or able to speak to, which is why educators do play I role in helping them through this development. 

1 comment:

  1. Carina-
    I think it's really important how you mentioned that gay men were taught in a negative light by only discussing "that gay men were responsible for the spread of AIDS". It's interesting to think about how many other negative views were placed upon us growing up.
    I agree with you that it is our job to help children feel like they are in a safe space to ask questions and learn about sexuality.

    ReplyDelete

Developing a Sexual Identity Orientation

This week's reading about sexual identity was cringe worthy at times, but overall a worthwhile read. It was interesting to read about th...